Adopt-A-Stream Mississippi is a cooperative effort between the Mississippi Wildlife Federation and the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) to involve citizens, like you, in stream stewardship and water quality monitoring. The common theme of the Adopt-A-Stream program is caring for and learning to conserve our water resources. Adopt-A-Stream promotes environmental stewardship through training workshops, outdoor field activities and by introducing participants to watershed action projects.
Mississippi is fortunate to have abundant water resources. Streams, lakes and marshes provide a home for aquatic life and help maintain the sensitive balance of nature. Mississippi’s waters are excellent resources for fishing, swimming, and canoeing. Rivers are a vital source for drinking water, agriculture, and industry. The quality of that water affects all of these uses. Everyone needs to play his part in protecting these resources for the future.
Get involved, Help Keep Mississippi’s Streams Clean
You can get involved by simply contacting the Mississippi Wildlife Federation and expressing an interest in the program and becoming a Stream Steward!
- To educate Mississippi citizens about the value of clean streams, rivers, and estuaries and how pollution from point and nonpoint sources affects water quality, wildlife, and fisheries, and ultimately humans.
- To collect baseline data on all streams and rivers in Mississippi for use as indicators of stream health.
- To use the data to promote clean up of polluted streams and to maintain the health of clean streams for our children.
- To educate citizens about ways to have a positive impact in their watershed.
- To foster sustainable behaviors that improve watersheds.